M-1 Visas for Non-Academic Students

Non-Immigrant Visas

Temporary or nonimmigrant visas are available for people entering the United States for a limited period of time and for a specific purpose. In most cases, people applying for nonimmigrant visas must demonstrate that they intend to leave the United States when their visa expires and that they do not intend to immigrate. However, people who qualify for H-1B (professional worker), L-1 (intracompany transfers) visas, and possibly E-2 investor visas are exempted from this requirement.

Although nonimmigrant visas are considered temporary, many of them are available for a number of years. Unlike immigrant visas, most nonimmigrant visas are not subject to any numerical limits.

M-1 visas are available for those pursuing a full-time course of study at an established vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution approved by the INS. Nonacademic institutions include vocational high schools, vocational training schools, community or junior colleges.

M-1 visa holders cannot work except for a short practical training after a student’s studies are completed. M-1 visa holder may generally apply for a change of status, but he or she is prohibited from changing to H-1 status if their qualifications for H-1 status are based on credentials gained as an M-1. However, M-1 visa holders are not precluded from obtaining an H-1 visa outside the United States.

M-2 visas are available for spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years of age) of M-1 visa holders. They are not allowed to work.

Be Sociable, Share!